Thursday, August 20, 2009

focal point

As my family helped me unpack this weekend, I recalled that some interior designers suggest to choose a focal point when setting up a room. For example, a living room may have a fireplace or a piece of artwork as a focal point. By knowing a room's intended focus, it may be easier to unravel and communicate the vision for that room.

This makes me question, "What is my focal point, in spirit? Do I act out of habit - out of pleasure - out of love?"

1 John 4:16 (New Living Translation) explains,
"We know how much God loves us, and we have put our trust in his love.
God is love, and all who live in love live in God, and God lives in them."

I think what John is saying in that verse is that if we trust God to lead us, He will help us live out of love. As followers of Jesus, I hope that we seek to grow in our understanding of Him and in our love for the world. My prayer is that God gives us the courage to look at the state of our current inner guidance system, and I pray that we choose Him as our focal point.

Photo from http://www.masonryofdistinction.com/