Thursday, August 13, 2009

"punt the burger, pass the chikin"

While the stereo played an eclectic mix of tracks and the lush landscape displayed an endless stream of trees, a few billboards caught my attention as my parents helped me move to Kentucky. Some advertisements consistently stood out to me. Chick-fil-A's comic cow always makes me laugh, and Cracker Barrel's signs encourage a visit to a welcoming, friendly stop. Those restaurants seem to communicate a consistent message of what they are about.

I thought, as a follower of Christ, what kind of message am I sending to others?

In Genesis 1:27, we see that God made us in His image. The New International Version reads, "So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created them, male and female he created them."

Although we are not perfect creatures, God created us to be like Him. How do we reflect His image, though?

Some insight came as I read Colossians 3:10 from the New Living Translation Bible, which states, "Put on your new nature, and be renewed as you learn to know your Creator and become like him."

I pray that as we seek to know more about our Creator, God, He will reflect His love and character in everything we do.

Photo from http://appalachiancenter.org/