Saturday, August 22, 2009

Vote for Yourself

Do nothing out of rivalry or conceit, but in humility consider others as more important than yourselves. Everyone should look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others (Phil 2:3-4, HSBB).

"It was in Junior High that I finally understood that anyone could lead. It was the first week and since everyone was at a new school, the playing ground seemed to be equal. I didn’t understand why I was a leader at the first grade school that I went to and at my next one I wasn’t, but I was determined to figure it out. That first week in homeroom, I learned a valuable lesson: we must vote for ourselves. Our teacher announced that we would have elections for student council. A boy pointed to another boy to nominate and a girl pointed to me. She wrote our two names on the board and had everyone vote. The boys voted for him and the girls voted for me. I voted for him. There were 21 in the room, ten boys and eleven girls. What was I thinking? From as early as I can remember, I was told to put others first. Where did it get me? Student Council Alternate. To this very day, I have relived that decision many times. Where is the line between being a strong leader who believes in herself and being supportive and putting others first? It is a daily challenge to learn to lead women while we still follow Him."

"Even though there are general leadership principles for every leader, there are a few that are unique to women. In order for women to be Godly leaders, it is essential that these skills be developed. In chapter five of Women Leading Women, we look at the parts of leadership that women seem to have the most trouble with. These are the leadership characteristics that every Godly woman leader needs to know."

Women Leading Women: The Biblical Model for the Church, Jaye Martin and Terri Stovall, B&H Academic, 2008.
http://www.amazon.ca/WOMEN-LEADING-BIBLICAL-MODEL-CHURCH/dp/0805447601

On September 18-19, Southern Seminary's Women's Ministry Institute will host a Weekend Leadership Retreat called, Following God's Lead. I will be leadng and we will talk about how to follow God' lead, how women can be Godly leaders, and how to serve with men. You are invited to come. Only $49. wmi@sbts.edu or 1-866-626-5525 x4085 for more info.