Tuesday, November 3, 2009

In My Name


I recently returned from a fall break mission trip with high school students. We took a group of 19 kids to Appalachia (Pikeville, KY). We spent the time there working with the local housing authority helping with home repairs for elderly and disabled. We did several projects, but for one home in particular we stripped an old roof, put on a new roof, painted all window and door trim, raked, trimmed hedges and trees and fit in new boards around her windows to keep out the winter wind. As we were meeting one evening, I asked the students to share what one thing stuck out in their minds from the trip. One of my boys looked up and said "I never realized that having the ability to swing a hammer with my arm was a way to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I wonder what else I can do to share Christ that I haven't done yet?" What a great question for us to consider! In Matthew 25, Jesus explains that when we meet the needs of others in the name of Christ, it is like serving Christ Jesus himself. When I stop to think about all the "small" things I do every day, I realize there are so many ways to share Christ that I have not pursued yet in HIS name. As you go about your day today, look for opportunities to do the seemingly everyday things IN THE NAME OF JESUS.