Friday, November 6, 2009

A Light in the Dark

"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead, they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds, and praise your Father in heaven."

Last Friday night my husband and daughter were out of town and I decided around 7:00 p.m. that it would be a perfect time to paint one of the rooms in our house. I went to a local store and picked out a paint color, got all my drop cloths, rollers, brushes, etc. together, and started taping the trim about 9:00 p.m. I painted the area by the ceiling with a paint brush and then poured the paint into the tray to begin to paint the walls with the roller. On the first stroke with the roller, all the lights suddenly went out and I was in complete darkness. I panicked because I hate blackness. The lights were out everywhere in the neighborhood and the rain kept away any hope of light from the moon. I awkwardly stumbled through the room feeling my way with my hands, stepping over the paint tray and made my way through the obstacle course in my hallway praying that I could find a match for a candle. My heart was beating fast because of my fear. After a few minutes I found one book of matches and one votive candle. I was so thrilled to find it--as soon as I lit the small candle the darkness was lifted. I could then see to find my way to all the other candles in my house.

If you work in secular place, live in a secular neighborhood, or are surrounded by unbelievers, remember that it just takes one small candle to dispel the darkness. Therefore, it just takes one believer living for Jesus that can shed light that is so welcomed in a place of darkness. Take courage, and remember that it takes just one person to shine for Him. Then it will ripple out to other dark places. Let us all shine for Him!!!

(P.S. I did finish painting the whole room by candlelight before I went to sleep. )