Friday, May 28, 2010

Our Portion

Where do you look for satisfaction? Not what should you find satisfaction in, but what do you find satisfaction in?

A favored verse for my morning prayer time with Jesus is Psalm 17:15, “As for me, I shall behold your face in righteousness; when I awake, I shall be satisfied with your likeness.” Are you satisfied with Jesus? Does He fill the empty places of your heart? Is He the ONE THING you desire? Psalm 27:4, “One thing I have asked that I shall seek that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life to behold the beauty of the Lord and to meditate in His temple.” Are you a woman of ONE THING? Or are your affections quite divided?

This past Tuesday me & a group of 20 young women opened up Ecclesiastes (in the MESH Summer Bible study I am privileged to teach) and the Lord reminded us that when we are not filled up & satisfied with Him, we can well expect that our sorrows will be multiplied, “The sorrows of those who have bartered for another God will be multiplied….” (Psalm 16:4) As you enjoy a long weekend I hope you’ll spend some time considering what you’re filling up with? Our souls don’t fare well when void of what they need the most – Jesus – our portion.

As leaders of women it can be easy to get focused on all you have to do, the lessons you have to prepare, the events you have to plan, the people you have to serve. And to be sure all of these need your proper prayerful focus, but none of these things can fill up your soul. If we want to live Spirit-filled lives as Galatians and Scripture elsewhere teaches it will only happen as we let our lives be filled by Jesus, by grace, in reading His Word, seeking Him in prayer, and otherwise delighting in our risen Savior. Will you let the Lord be your portion today?

Our family, by the grace of God & a godly husband’s leadership, has determined that the Lord HE is OUR PORTION (Psalm 16:5).