Thursday, May 20, 2010

strength for the leap

I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father” (John 14:12, NIV).

Sometimes, when I read the Bible, I wonder, “Did it just say that?” This verse struck me. It was mentioned in Laurie Beth Jones’ book, Jesus, Life Coach. In it, she describes how radically God can work in our lives and through us. She asks, “What outrageous requests is Jesus, your Coach, making of you? What would happen if you released the brake and decided to go for the ride?” (pp. 116-117).

Recently, I’ve started a new summer internship.  God is ruler over all, but sometimes I fear that I won't be able to live up to what He wants me to do.  That is a crazy thought, though, since He is all-powerful and has given His followers the Holy Spirit.  I realize that the more I am open to what He has to say to me, the more I see how to follow His lead.  Christ’s words to His disciples have helped me: “I will come to you as orphans; I will come to you. Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live” (John 14:18-19, NIV).

God will give us assurance of where to go through the Holy Spirit.  Are we open to take the leaps He asks us to take?

(graphic from http://www.danceinforma.com/magazine/?p=1208)