Saturday, May 8, 2010

Season Your Conversations


"...make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone." (Colossians 3:5b-6)

I fall short of this in my own life, but recently God prompted me to make the most of an opportunity. As leaders, God showed me (again) that we must model what we want women in our churches to do. I was in Los Angeles as a sponsor for our high school senior trip and was on a 3 minute train from the Getty Museum to the parking lot. A lady was sitting right across from me. I found out she worked at the museum so I commented on the awesome religious paintings that were there. I asked her if she went to a church in the area. She told me she just liked to journal her own thoughts and that was her spirituality--within herself.

Knowing that there was not much time, I asked her what her spirituality thought about life after death. She had no answer. I asked her what she thought about the Bible--she said she liked reading it. So I quickly told her to read the book of John and see what it said about Jesus Christ, that accepting Him was the ONLY way to have eternal life, and that maybe the religion that could cost her the most was the one she should study first. She nodded (probably out of politeness), and then we got off the train.

I don't know if there will be any fruit from that or not, but we are not responsible for results--we just need to season our conversation with the gospel. Speaking as one who needs to be more intentional about these opportunities, may we challenge each other to do the same.