Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Perfect Words


Last week I was out shopping looking for a few greeting cards. I needed to get a Mother's Day card for my mom and mother-in-law, a birthday card for a close friend and a thank you card for someone in our church. If you are anything like me, you know this process can take hours! I want to check out every card just in case there was a better one than I had and rereading several just to make sure I had the right choice picked out. I spend so much time looking for the perfect words to communicate exactly what I want to say. And then let's face it...most people who receive the cards will read them once, maybe twice and either throw them away or shove them into an old file folder or cardboard box. And as I was purchasing the cards, I had to think...I wonder if that is what the Lord feels like sometimes with believers and Scripture? That God took so much time to carefully orchestrate the writing of His Word for us to carefully read and understand so we would truly know His heart and what He wants to communicate to us. We read it once, maybe twice and then store it away. We might know where it is in case we have a rainy day and need to read something to change our mood, but mostly the precious words sit hidden, having been read, quickly appreciated and then set aside. My pastor once said "You cannot love God and not love His Word" If someone were to measure you love and appreciate for God today by your love and appreciate for His Word, where would you be? Many times as leaders it can be so easy to forget the basic principles of spiritual growth in the name of minsitries and spiritual responsibilities. Ladies, today choose to get our your Bible, get alone with the Lord and thank Him for the precious gift of His communication to us. Spend time reading the Scriptures today. Sit under the teaching of Jesus and rest in the comfort of the Spirit. Thank God for His communication with us!