Tuesday, October 18, 2011

15 mistakes I made while working with men: Mistake #10


Whatever you do, do it enthusiastically, as something done for the Lord and not for men, knowing that you will receive the reward of an inheritance from the Lord—you serve the Lord Christ.” Colossians 3:23-24, HCSB.

10 - Don’t rescue everyone else

            Men may like to fix things but women like to fix people. Working with men and with the team means that we must not try to fix those we serve with and we must not try to fix the flaws that might linger in their ministries either. In my early years of ministry, I spend way too much time trying to help every ministry area to be perfect. I thought that if we had a perfect church, that more would come to know the Lord. I learned that I need to fix and deal with the log in my own ministries and let others deal with areas that I should not be concerned with. We come across as the critical spirit when we try to fix every flaw that is out there. When we do this, no one wants to be around us. We need to learn to deal with our own areas and not try to rescue everyone else’s.

Excerpts from Women Leading Women: The Biblical Model for the Church, Chapter Six, Serving with Men, by Jaye Martin.

http://www.amazon.com/Women-Leading-Biblical-Model-Church/dp/0805447601/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1316883171&sr=1-1