Monday, October 3, 2011

15 mistakes I made while working w/men: Mistake #1

Whatever you do, do it enthusiastically, as something done for the Lord and not for men, knowing that you will receive the reward of an inheritance from the Lord—you serve the Lord Christ.” Colossians 3:23-24, HCSB.

            Finally, I do have some tips for working with men that I’d love to share with you. I am not going to say that this is an exhaustive list, but I will tell you that they are the things that I have had to learn the hard way. While doing research in this area, I have found that many women make some of these same mistakes. These are things that will be good for all of us to remember.

1 - Let him be your warrior or your advocate.

            What do men love to do? They love to rescue women – the damsel in distress, if you will. I’m still not too sure about why but there is apparently something in most men that they want to fix things and make everything right again. If there is a woman who is in need, then there is something in their manhood that loves to help and rescue the poor thing. I have often laughed at the men on the airplane who will jump to help the cute young thing who needs help with her luggage. I have also noticed that they will also jump to help any woman who will allow herself to be helped. Now considering I am usually lugging way too much around and often need help, I decided a long time ago that if a man (or anyone) would like to help me, that I would just allow it. I may be known for being self-sufficient, but let’s face it, why turn down good help? I don’t have to be a “do it by myself” girl.
            This same principle holds true in the office. When we have a problem or legitimate need, we should go to our boss and tell him the need. I don’t think we should run to him with everything but there are times that he can help. No matter who my boss is, I have found that he was always ready to help me and in fact, to be my warrior. There are times that he can fight the battles for us and we can’t. I believe that in general, men listen more to other men, and there are times that he can make things happen when we cannot. Let your boss be your warrior or your advocate.




http://www.amazon.com/Women-Leading-Biblical-Model-Church/dp/0805447601/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1316883171&sr=1-1

Excerpts from Women Leading Women: The Biblical Model for the Church, Chapter Six, Serving with Men, by Jaye Martin.