Thursday, October 27, 2011

sweeter than honey

"How sweet Your word is to my taste - sweeter than honey to my mouth" (Psalm 119:103).

An excerpt from the devotional, Women at Southern: A Walk Through Psalms made me think today, so wanted to share:

"How sweet is God's Word to you?  It says 'to my taste' (v. 103). I take that to mean, God personalizes His Word for each of us, to what we need to hear from Him at that particular moment. Have you found that to be true? I have!

"...Psalm 119:97 starts out with, 'How I love your teaching! It is my meditation all day long.' You'll know how sweet His Word is by how much you meditate on it. Or do you meditate more on your needs, concerns, or sin area?  Which is bigger in your thought life, God or your Goliath? I have the tendency to focus on my issues and make them larger than life, but that's also when I know I haven't allowed the sweet honey of God's Word to melt my heart and guide my thoughts.

"Father God, May I love Your teaching more than my own insights. Let Your Word be the sweet taste that I'm longing to hear and guide me from every false way. Amen."
-Melanie Cook

(photo from honeylocator.com)