Sunday, October 23, 2011

15 mistakes I made while working with men: Mistake #12


Whatever you do, do it enthusiastically, as something done for the Lord and not for men, knowing that you will receive the reward of an inheritance from the Lord—you serve the Lord Christ.” Colossians 3:23-24, HCSB.

12 - Leave your emotions at home

            I wish that I had mastered the tears by now. I remember how many times I would get teary eyed when someone would talk about people coming to know the Lord or about someone losing a loved one in staff meeting. I remember praying and my voice cracking as I prayed over difficult situations. In a roomful of women, we can find forgiveness. In a roomful of men, I am not so sure. One of my bosses told me that he noticed that I was fine until I had to respond about a difficult situation and he suggested that I just sit and not feel that I had to respond when I felt emotional on a need or an issue. These were wise words and helped me greatly. He felt that I was not taken seriously because of my tears and he was right. It was at that time that I also learned that cutting the sugar and the caffeine was most helpful to me as well. Whatever works for us, we need to do.

Excerpts from Women Leading Women: The Biblical Model for the Church, Chapter Six, Serving with Men, by Jaye Martin.

http://www.amazon.com/Women-Leading-Biblical-Model-Church/dp/0805447601/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1316883171&sr=1-1