Monday, October 24, 2011

15 mistakes I made while working with men: Mistake #13


Whatever you do, do it enthusiastically, as something done for the Lord and not for men, knowing that you will receive the reward of an inheritance from the Lord—you serve the Lord Christ.” Colossians 3:23-24, HCSB.

13 - Appropriate nesting

            One of the things that my husband taught me was that men don’t trust women who don’t nest in their offices. As an attorney, he has worked with many women attorneys. He says he always knows whether she is a long-timer or a short-timer by whether she nests in the office or not. Since I have had offices in buildings in other states, I have made it a point to make sure that I move my personal items like photos, diplomas, and work-related things into the offices so that there would be no question as to my “being there.” I want my office to look like my office even when I am far away.
            One of the mistakes that I have seen women make is nesting too much. What I mean by that is making the office look more like their bedroom rather than like an office and living room. Certainly it is appropriate to have nice, female things in the office. However, do leave the lace and the glowing, scented candles at home. We don’t want the office to smell like perfume; it is a work environment. I have heard the response that the men get to have deer heads hanging so why would we not be able to have our pink cushions with the cute bows but that becomes another story. If I were writing a book for men, I might have a comment but from our standpoint, they can have their animal heads but we still don’t get to go crazy with the frills. I will admit to having a mantle and candles in my Louisville office but I can assure you that neither is burning anything.


Excerpts from Women Leading Women: The Biblical Model for the Church, Chapter Six, Serving with Men, by Jaye Martin.

http://www.amazon.com/Women-Leading-Biblical-Model-Church/dp/0805447601/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1316883171&sr=1-1