Friday, June 7, 2013

Consider it Joy


James 1:2-3 is a challenging verse! How do we consider hard times joy? Yet, that is what we are told to do by the Lord. Some questions that may help us during these times are to ask:
  • What is God trying to teach me during this hard time?
  • How can I see this situation from God's viewpoint?
  • How can I trust God in the middle of this trial?
  • How do other people perceive me during this suffering?
God does teach us through trials; if we go to Him, He will draw us close and be near to the brokenhearted. But we also need to realize that others are watching us and observing how we are handling the trial. 

We had a church member whose nine year old daughter fell out of a tree onto a concrete driveway, causing a serious concussion and coma. The doctors could not guarantee that the daughter would survive or that she would not have brain damage. My husband, Tim, asked the mother how she was holding up. Her response has challenged us ever since. She said, "I told God I was going to praise Him if she lived and I was going to praise Him if she died. He is my Lord, and He knows best."

Her reaction to this trial was not based on a momentary feeling. She made a decision that she was going to trust God no matter what. Her faith impacted the nurses, doctors and all who came to visit her.

People are watching how we handle adversity. Let us determine to handle it, trusting our Lord and God.

(By the way, as Tim and the parents were praying over her, she opened her eyes and said, "Hi, Mom." God healed her completely.)

(Cartoon from heartchoices.com)