Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Step by step

"The mind of man plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps." Proverbs 16:9


Throughout countless situations in my life over the years, I have seen the truth of this verse. From picking a college and then a major, from relationship decisions to career choices, from summer plans to living situations, I have made my plans and the Lord has accomplished His. Proverbs 14:12 says, "There is a way which seems right to a man, but its end is the way of death." Again and again, I have been frustrated as the Lord has upset my plans and the way that seems right to me. And yet, again and again I find myself  abundantly thankful because the Lord truly does know best. How comforting to know that the God who "works all things together for the good of those who love Him and have been called according to His purpose" (Romans 8:28) is also the God who "establishes" our steps (Psalm 37:23).

Proverbs 20:24 says, "Man's steps are ordained by the Lord, how then can man understand his way?" After years of trying to understand my own way and pursuing "the way that seems right" to me, I can honestly say I take great comfort in knowing that it is the Lord who directs, establishes and ordains my steps. I am content to trust in Him with all my heart, leaning not on my own understanding but allowing Him to direct my paths (Proverbs 3:5-6).

 God knows of all of the days that were planned for us "when as yet there was none of them" (Psalm 139:16). Today, may we confidently trust in His character, purposes and plan. May we entrust our steps to God's leading and seek His guidance, trusting that He has a plan to prosper and not to harm, to provide a future and hope (Jeremiah 29:11).