Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Teach Us To Number Our Days

"Teach us to number our days, that we may present to You a heart of wisdom." Psalm 90:12
Kari Beougher

There are so many different endeavors that fill our time. For me this week, I feel as though every single moment of my day is accounted for- church activities, work, school, social events, family, relationships- all these occupy our days. I love this verse because I am reminded every time I read it of how much I truly do need the Lord to teach me to purpose my time and to make sure I am honoring Him with my use of it.

Ephesians 5:15-16 says, "Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil. So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is." The days are evil. None of us know how much time the Lord has ordained for us. James reminds us, "You do not know what your life will be like tomorrow. You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away. Instead, you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we will live and also do this or that" (James 4:14-15). On our own, we do not have the wisdom to appropriately plan our time or make proper use of it. We need the Lord's help in structuring and filling our time in a way that glorifies Him and accomplishes what He has planned for us.

Today, may we seek the Lord for wisdom in how to manage our time and "number our days." May we entrust our time, days and endeavors to His keeping. Today may we make the most of our day and purpose our time well to the glory of God.