Thursday, January 7, 2010

a beautiful mystery

Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take. Proverbs 3:5-6 (New Living Translation)

Click! (Pause) Click! Huff.

Click! (Pause) Click! Hmm.

The man next to me on the plane and I stared up -- the lights above us refused to work. We were both on our last leg of an eventful traveling experience. He seemed ready to sleep, and I was ready to read. As we waited to tell the flight attendant about the lights, we slowly began to talk. Within a few minutes, our conversation turned to a discussion about God.

My row-mate asked me what I believed about God's divine nature, and I explained that I think that God is three-in-one – God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit. He said that is what he believed, but he recently talked with someone who believed that Jesus and God were one, but not the Holy Spirit.

His eyes got as big as the mandrill on The Lion King (Rafiki, picture link below) as he said, "He is God! We cannot always explain Him." We laughed as we talked about how we try to explain God sometimes, but our minds are not like His. He exclaimed, "We must just have faith!"

It was a relief to be reminded that God does not expect us to understand everything about Him. No matter how confusing some things are about Him – such as the idea that God can be three in one – we are free to choose to have faith in the all-powerful, all-knowing God whose love never ends.

I pray that even though we may never fully understand our Lord, we may grow in our faith in Him this year.

Isaiah 40:28-31
Picture from iGoogle's "Places to See"