Thursday, January 21, 2010

Only One Thing Is Needed




"Martha, Martha you are anxious and troubled about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her." (Luke 10:41-42)



Many of us are familiar with the story about Mary and Martha, where Martha is doing all the preparations and work while Mary goes to sit at the feet of Jesus. Not trying to criticize Martha for being on top of things concerning the workload, I was convicted when I read this "antithesis" of Psalm 23 written by Marcia K. Hornok:



The clock is my dictator, I shall not rest.
It makes me lie down only when exhausted.
It leads me to deep depression.
It hounds my soul.
It leads me in circles of frenzy for activity's sake.
Even though I run frantically from task to task, I will never get it all done.
For my "ideal" is with me.
Deadlines and my need for approval, they drive me.
They demand performance from me, beyond the limits of my schedule.
They anoint my head with migraines.
My in-basket overflows.
Surely fatigue and time pressure shall follow me all the days of my life.
And I will dwell in the bond of frustration forever.

Let us all remember the MAIN THINGS - to keep our fellowship daily with the Lord AND to tell others about him!