Saturday, January 23, 2010

Inescapable Love

The longer I live in this world the more I realize the reason Jesus said this: "These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace In the world you have tribulation (or trouble), but take courage (or heart); I have overcome the world." (John 16:33) These days I can hardly watch the news. I'm sure you feel the same. The devastation that has rocked Haiti is more than a soul can bear. Also, this week I received a prayer request for a family who tragically lost a 21 year old girl in a car accident. In addition, I am still praying for two babies both under 3 who are enduring cancer treatments. When I think about all of the natural disasters, all of the death, all of the sickness, all of the sheer pain, I am nearly overwhelmed. BUT (ah I'm thankful for the "but")when I remember Jesus' encouragement..."take courage or take heart I have overcome the world" I am relieved and recall that our God has this world under His grasp. He is in control. Jesus, at the end of all things, is our only hope. Without Him, we are wrecked, lost, destined for death indeed. There is hope in His Gospel...that He has come and has loved this world by giving His only Son that whoever would believe in Him would not perish but have everlasting life (John 3:16). That is an inescapable love. In the midst of tragedy, God has not forgotten, nor has He left us. He is not taking a break, missing in action, nor is He powerless. He is there. Pursuing us always with an enduring love that the human mind can scarce fathom. God has demonstrated this love in sending His Son. This is the message of hope that we need to hear, that Haiti needs to hear, that the mourning family needs to hear, that Ansley & Ian & their families need to hear. God has loved us. For who would die for a good man, much less an evil man wrecked with sin? Yet our Savior loved us while we were yet sinners bearing the shame & guilt of our sin on the cross. Inescapable love. That is what we need. I pray that Jesus is the One we share as often as the day allows. We need to tell all who will hear it that this Savior is risen & is able to rise in hearts bringing newness of life. It is inescapable love!