Monday, January 25, 2010

Living Sacrifice or All About Me?

"Therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, I urge you to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God; this is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this age, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may discern what is the good, pleasing, and perfect will of God. For by the grace given to me, I tell everyone among you not to think of himself more highly than he should think. Instead, think sensibly, as God has distributed a measure of faith to each one. Now as we have many parts in one body, and all the parts do not have the same function, in the same way we who are many are one body in Christ and individually members of one another" (Romans 12:1-5, HCSB).

I have to admit that I am wondering what happened to being a living sacrifice? Even in the Christian world, it seems that the "me" syndrome has gotten most of us. It is all about "me" and what "I" need and "my" ministry and doing what "I" feel called to do.

I find it most interesting that Romans 12:1-2 about being a sacrifice is followed by the importance of the parts of the body functioning together as one in Christ. We are to work together for the good of the kingdom. Regardless of the church we are in, the seminary we are connected to, or what ministry we are involved in. We need to be doing kingdom work that is all about Christ and not about "our" own ministry.

When will we learn? Let's work together for the good of the kingdom and stop worrying about who gets the credit. Let's be a living sacrifice today and everyday so that Christ is honored.