Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Lose It!



With the start of a new year, I have seen an increase in coupons, commercials and commitments specifically targeting those who want to lose weight. All of the sudden the healthy foods are featured in the supermarket flyers. Gyms are offering zero membership fees and bring a friend free days. Millions of new water bottle designs hit the shelves, each with new and improved features! It seems at this time that our culture suddenly recognizes a need to shed some extra pounds and begins to focus every area of life around this problem. How people use their time, money, food, drink and resources all comes back to this one specific goal. In the middle of all of this, I can’t help but think of Hebrews 12:1-2, where the writer pleads with believers to throw off everything that hinders us from following Jesus. “Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.” I wonder what it might take in my own life for me to decide to reorient my entire life because I was so concerned with putting to death the sin and extra weight that keeps me from Jesus. What would I need to change about how I use my time, money, resources? What accountability would I need for my attitude, discipline and focus? Whether or not you are in the group of people choosing to throw off a little weight this year, let us commit as followers of Jesus Christ that we will choose to throw off everything that might keep us from running after Jesus with all of our hearts! “Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.”