Thursday, May 26, 2011

heads up!

In volleyball and some other sports, when a ball is coming towards someone who is not looking, it's common to warn them by saying, "Heads up!"

Today, as I described something I admired about a leader, I wondered if it reflected God or not.  I was explaining how I admired some Generals of armies in history, who had gone into battle with the soldiers they led.  While I was cleaning later, I thought, "Does that reflect God, or does it reflect something else?"  The Holy Spirit leads believers through good and bad times, and I see I still admire that those Generals were there beside those soldiers.  It just made me think - am I keeping my eyes on God as I admire things about others, as I talk with people who may not know God?

In the first chapter of John, we learn that John the Baptist was sent to preach about the Messiah, Jesus Christ.  At first, some people asked John if he was the Messiah.  He seemed quick to explain, and we can read more about it in verses six through eight - "There was a man named John who was sent from God. He came as a witness to testify about the light, so that all might believe through him.  He was not the light, but he came to testify about the light" (HCSB).

Who are we reflecting?  If we let God shine through us, then hopefully others will see Him, too.

Lord, thanks for loving us enough to die for us, to rise and to lead us now.  Please keep our minds focused on You so that others will know You, too.