Thursday, May 5, 2011

hope does not put us to shame

"More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us" (Romans 5:3-5).

In the above verses, the goodness that comes from suffering, endurance, character, and hope is noted.  Why is it good?  Verse 5 explains, "because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us." 

It amazes me how God gives us this love.  Jesus is alive, and the Holy Spirit has been given to us and poured into our hearts.  So, what?  By God's power, we can rejoice in times that are tough.  Will we help others see how we are able to rejoice through challenges?

Last week, I ran one of the furthest distances I have run yet.  It was painfiul during the last couple of miles for me, as I felt like my heart was beating in muscles that I didn't know existed.  Yet - I did not get through it alone.  Prayer helped for sure, as well as support from others.  And then I remembered it was possible to persevere and keep going.

Similarly, I think, our course in life to follow God will not always be easy.  We can take heart knowing that as believers and followers of Him that He is with us to guide us.  We can rest in remembering God's promises and the hope and strength that only He can give.  I pray that we tell others how His great love and power enables us to have faith in the midst of what may come our way.

Also, just a reminder of what Tracy wrote yesterday - today is the national day of prayer.

A link to "May Your Power Rest on Me" by Sojourn Music - sojournmusic.bandcamp.com - album link to play (click to left of track 8)