Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Lord, make me a servant like Mary

"And Mary said, 'Behold, I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word.' And the angel departed from her" (Luke 1:38, ESV).

I wish I was like Mary. I think if an angel came upon me and told me I was pregnant, I might not have responded with "behold, I am a servant of the Lord, let it be." In fact, I'm sure I would have been startled speechless. When I am really scared, I can't scream much less speak at all. Even when I came too, I think I would not have responded so favorably - and especially if I was young and unmarried. I know if you haven't had a child, you might not know what it all entails but having had several miscarriages and one miracle child, I can assure you it was one of the most physically trying experiences of my life. Being a mother might be the greatest blessing, but getting there wasn't. I'm sure Mary didn't know all she would encounter, but I love that she had such a positive outlook on it all. I love that she declared, "I am a servant...let it be!"

This Christmas, I pray you have a "Mary" Christmas. I pray that no matter what God calls you to do, that you will serve the Lord with gladness. I pray that you (and I) will respond and be willing to serve. It might be cleaning the house, going that extra mile to help someone with a screaming child at the mall, letting someone have the parking space that you had been waiting on, putting up with relatives that seem impossible, or helping do the cooking and the dishes. Whatever God calls us to do, let's just do it and be servants who shine with Jesus as we serve! You pray for me and I will pray for you. Have a "Mary" Christmas and let's serve the Lord with gladness!