Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Magnify the Lord!

“And Mary said, ‘My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has looked on the humble estate of his servant” (Luke 1:46-48a, ESV).

Mary's soul magnified the Lord. Wow. How many times is my soul magnifying the Lord? Apparently not enough! I'm overwhelmed with little things like getting grades in, finishing my dissertation, Christmas shopping and cleaning, and other things that show that I am not magnifying the Lord enough. I'm even overwhelmed with the fact that I haven't blogged in several days! Oh my, I need to be like Mary and magnify the Lord!

When we let the things of the world take away our joy of the Lord, we have lost perspective on how big God really is. To magnify simply means to make great, to acknowledge greatness. God is so much bigger than even the things of Christmas. It is easy to lose the meaning of Christmas when we are more concerned about staying out of debt and more concerned with all the parties (or lack of them). When we think about the things, we are not magnifying the Lord.

Let's commit together, that in the middle of all the craziness, we will magnify the Lord. Mary was pregnant and could have been overwhelmed, but she wasn't. Let's keep our focus and every time we start to get off track, let's pull out our Bibles and remember to magnify the Lord!

Have a "Mary" Christmas!