Friday, December 17, 2010

Mary - the Humble Servant

“And Mary said, ‘My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has looked on the humble estate of his servant” (Luke 1:46-48a, ESV).

Mary is my hero! She magnified the Lord, rejoiced with God, and stayed humble in the middle of it all. In her song found in Luke 1:46-55, we see that she was chosen to be the mother of the Messiah partly because she was humble. She wasn't seeking this high position. She rejoiced when she found her calling. There was no press release, she didn't Tweet about it, and she didn't post photos on Facebook of her growing belly. :) She just rejoiced before the Lord and with Elizabeth's family. Mary kept things in perspective and chose to be the humble servant chosen to carry our Lord.

This Christmas, I want to be like Mary. There are many things to do and many of them servant-oriented. What I do will not be known to the world, in fact few will notice. I doubt that anyone will know how much shopping (gifts and groceries) I have done, how much cooking, how many gifts I have wrapped, how much time I have spent in the kitchen, how many towels and sheets I will wash, or how much work goes into hosting family and friends. I didn't say it would not involve some fun in there but there is much to do and for the most part, it won't be known.

As I write this, it is the weekend before Christmas. Family and friends start arriving on Tuesday and if I were to stop and write a to-do list, I would never finish writing (so I had better get busy)! I'm concentrating on being like Mary. (Of course, that is like making a public declaration for the enemy to use.) I'm going to think about the outcome of Christmas and look for how I can serve my family and others - without griping. I'm going to try to work and serve as unto the Lord - at least I'm going to start each day trying to allow God to serve through me without the fanfare.

Will you join me? I pray that we all have a "Mary" Christmas!