Monday, December 20, 2010

Merciful God


“And his mercy is for those who fear him from generation to generation. He has shown strength with his arm; he has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts” (Luke 1:50-51, ESV). 

I love the verses that follow in Luke 1:76-79. They are part of Zechariah's prophesy about John the Baptist (the child that Mary's relative Elizabeth was carrying). They give great insight into our merciful God.

"And you, child, will be called the prophet of the Most High; for you will go before the Lord to prepare his ways, to give knowledge of salvation to his people in the forgiveness of their sins, because of the tender mercy of our God, whereby the sunrise shall visit us from on high to give light to those who sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of peace” (Luke 1:76-79, ESV).

God is a merciful God. God gives us knowledge of our sins and helps us see our need for salvation. It is the tender mercy of God that allows us to know we need Him. All creation points to Him. He brings light to those who live in darkness. He guides our lives so that we can come to Him and experience His peace.

I need to know the merciful God. I need His mercy at every season but especially now during the Christmas rush. I need to remember that God has allowed me the privilege of knowing Him and serving Him. Oh God, have mercy on me a sinner. At times I have forgotten how to be grateful for the opportunity to give and share with others. Lord, help me to see your mercy and help me to extend it to others who desperately need you today.

I want to have a "Mary" Christmas!