Friday, December 10, 2010

the Unexpected Guest

"And when Elizabeth heard the greeting of Mary, the baby leaped in her womb. And Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit, and she exclaimed with a loud cry, 'Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb! And why is this granted to me that the mother of my Lord should come to me?'" (Luke 1:41-43, ESV).

Have you ever had an unexpected guest? One that just drops in with no warning? Growing up, I learned to keep the front rooms and public areas of the home picked up and ready for company - just in case anyone dropped in. Mother also taught us to have a meal ready - pre-cooked and frozen - or something easy to prepare. While I admit that I hate drop-ins, I am still ready - just in case!

I can't imagine being Elizabeth and having Mary drop in - and stay for three months! My, can't say I'd be ready for that! Elizabeth was very old and now pregnant. She had to be exhausted and achy - even if she was excited to be pregnant and excited for Mary! Yet Elizabeth kept a positive and spiritual outlook on it all. Elizabeth knew that God was in the visit. Whatever she thought she had planned, God's plan had to take priority.

I pray that this Christmas, we will be ready for company. It might come when someone arrives at the door, or when we find ourselves with time to talk to someone about Christ. I pray that we will be ready for God's plan to change our plan. And may we be like Mary - full of the Holy Spirit and listening for what He will teach us.

Let's have a "Mary" Christmas!