Thursday, March 3, 2011

burning questions

"Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways!" (Romans 11:33, ESV). 

What is a burning question?  One of my professors this week explained that doubts can be helpful.  He said, "Doubts are the ants in the pants of faith."  When he said that, I couldn't help but laugh, since it is true for me - a question can make me "itch" until I find the answer.  Like, when there is a song that I like that I cannot name, then I try to google the lyrics to find its title.  We cannot understand everything about God, but why not search the Bible for truth?  Questions of our own and from others can help us understand and grow closer to God. 

Does someone you know who is not a believer have a question about God?  Do you have a question?  Recently, I have been wanting to know more and more about humility.  If we share our questions and searches with another, then we could join in praying and reading the Bible to find answers.  The Holy Spirit is within those who believe and can help us understand our Maker, King and Savior.

For more on wisdom, I've been reading 1 Corinthians 1:18-31 and 1 Corinthians 2 (these links connect to the ESV version on gnpcb.org).

Link to "Absent from Flesh" sung by Jamie Barnes, Brooks Ritter and others at an EP release party (link takes you to youtube.com).