I was reading an article by Tim Elmore on www.GrowingLeaders.com in which he talked about ways leaders lose authority with students. As I read, I turned them into positive things leaders can do to set an example for their teams.
1. Be sure you live up to what you expect of others.
2. Demonstrate courage when a decision needs to be made.
3. Be real with people. Don't pretend to be someone you are not.
4. Share CURRENT success stories with others, not ones that were decades ago.
5. Don't exaggerate the truth.
6. Don't quit developing your gifts and always work towards excellence in everything.
7. Be able to direct your team in a clear way.
Then I want to add one that was the most important characteristic to Jesus:
8. SERVE others.
"For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many." (Mark 10:45)