Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Bread of Life


Martin Luther once said "We are all mere beggars, telling other beggars where to find bread". Wow. I believe that this must resonate with the heartbeat of the gospel. As you look at the early hymn writers, I think they understood this as well. You do not see the early hymns singing praise to the Lord that "I once was lost but figured out my way"! Instead, we hear the praises echo that we once were lost, but now are found. Inherent in the idea of "found" is that the missing object had nothing to do with this new resotration, and the "finder" is actually the one who is most important here. Yet when it comes to evangelism, sometimes the Enemy deceives and whispers that we should share what we know because we somehow were able to figure it out better than the rest of those lost people! As you go out and share, remember that you were FOUND. This week, take a moment to rejoice that you have the Bread of Life, and create time to offer another beggar the Way to this Bread.

Then Jesus declared, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty." (John 6:35)