Friday, September 4, 2009

Hospitality as a Family and Evangelism

1 Timothy 5:10 "....and is well known for her good deeds, such as bringing up children, showing hospitality, washing the feet of the saints, helping those in trouble and devoting herself to all kinds of good deeds."

This verse is talking about the honor of one over sixty being put on a "widow's list"as a godly woman. Continuing on from last week on the theme of hospitality and evangelism, God has placed two new families on our street (one of which was as of yesterday). As I have been thinking about this topic, God was saying to me: "Okay, Sharon, what are you going to do to be hospitable?" As I walked in the door from just meeting the new neighbors next door, my youngest daughter, Karisa, said, "Mom, I want to make chocolate chip cookies for them and take them over." I was thinking about how busy my week was and what I was going to do, but she piped up with her idea. That made me realize how neat it is to involve the whole family in hospitality evangelism. Kristi, my oldest daughter, always took cookies to one of the widowers on our street when she was home, and it struck me how I did not keep that up when she left for college. He is lost, and I know that a chocolate chip cookies would open the door back up to re-build the relationship. It is so easy to get so busy and so tired that we miss the opportunities that God has put right in front of our faces.