Wednesday, September 9, 2009

fuel for the heart

"Consider Him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart."
-Hebrews 12:3 (NIV)

This past Saturday, I took a longer jog than usual on a trail that I had never seen before. Near my start, a cyclist breezed by me, and I was impressed by his fearlessness to pass so quickly over the trail's roots and creeks. As I came upon the last stretch of hill, before the sun's rays broke the shade, I realized that the cyclist's endurance had inspired me to keep moving.

We are blessed that every day we can look to Jesus as an example of one who pressed on through tough times. Recently, I have been feeling anxious about a test that is approaching. As I read the above verse in Hebrews about Jesus' trials, I remembered that He had much more that He could have worried about while He lived on earth. Yet, He kept loving others, proclaiming God's promises, and touching lives in the midst of His suffering.

So, the next time I begin to stress, I will pray and remember Jesus' incomparable sacrifice on the cross as an encouragement to release my worries and to press on in what is to come ahead (Philippians 4:6). I pray that we all are inspired by His dedication, so that we may love and live like our irreplaceable Savior.

"May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you a spirit of unity among yourselves as you follow Christ Jesus, so that with one heart and mouth you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ." -Romans 15:5-6 (NIV)

(Picture from flikr.com)