Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Lost and Found

It is a pretty regular thing in my household to be looking for keys. I seem to have a...let's call it "special giftedness"...for losing my entire ring of keys. Now, if you could see how many keys I have all tangled together, this is no small feat to lose such a massive blob. In the first few months of our marriage, Will would help me and we would look quite diligently for those keys! Yet, it has become so common that my husband and I seem to think very little when I lose my keys "again"! We still look for them and spend a few minutes searching, but usually we just use the extra set and move on, not letting the lost keys slow me down. The other day as I was thinking about this, I realized that I think I do this with evangelism many times in my life. At the beginning of a particular evangelistic journey, I start off with passion and purpose. For example when I first moved into our neighborhood, when I first started working at a secular company, when I first started going to my specific grocery store or gas station. However, as time goes on and I am still encountering the same "issue", the same people with the same life and they are still lost, I tend to notice my passion wearing off. I still desire that the lost become saved. I might even spend a few minutes doing something about it. However, that initial, consuming passion to share Jesus Christ through every action seems to go away because here I am "again". In Scripture we are told of the rejoicing that takes place when the lost are found! Today as you go through your daily routine, take time to regain that specific passion and purpose for a lost individual. Share Jesus again with someone whom you may have been encountering for a long time and lost the intentionality that the Lord calls us to possess. Today, may you "be wise in the way you act towards outsiders and make the most of every opportunity!" (Colossians 4:5)