Monday, September 28, 2009

grass roots

"Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence indeed is the Lord. He will be like a tree planted by water: it sends its roots out toward a stream, it doesn’t fear when heat comes, and its foliage remains green. It will not worry in a year of drought or cease producing fruit" (Jeremiah 17:7-8, HCSB).

I believe that God's work is strengthened by grass roots movements. Jeremiah tells us that we are blessed when we trust in the Lord and place our confidence in Him. We are like trees planted by water that send our roots out to His stream and therefore, we don't fear when the heat comes. Our fruit and foliage remains green and we need not worry in case there is even a year-long dry spell.

In January 1985, I heard about the great awakenings and how individuals started them by praying for God to awaken His people. I heard someone tell a group about the difference that just one person who was fully committed to God could make. I told God that I wanted to be that person. Until recent years, I prayed daily for a great awakening. I don't care who starts it or how it happens but I want to go back on record that beginning today, I am praying for a great awakening.

I am praying for women (and anyone) who will join me in digging in and planting roots in Christ and in the ministry of helping women to be mobilized and leading people to Jesus. I believe that we need a grass roots movement of women who want to make a difference as they try to relate to a lost world. We need women who will pray for a great awakening among women. Let's pray that women will pray, arise, and go!

Will you join me?