Tuesday, September 22, 2009

See You At The Pole!


Tomorrow is "See You At The Pole", a national day where Christian students gather around their flagpoles to pray for their schools, boldly declaring themselves as followers of Christ to everyone driving into school that morning. As our school is preparing for this, I am watching students rally together to plan and prepare how to pray for our school. I overhear conversations about the most effective way to mobilize students into small groups. I see posters and flyers encouraging students to take a stand. And while I think this is a wonderful event that we must encourage and support, I do wonder if the Lord looks down and finally sees a glimpse of the passion for prayer that was meant for the Christian life as we daily look to Christ. What if every day were surrounded with Christians intentionally praying for their schools, co-workers and friends? Many times I often feel that I need to finish praying so I can hurry up and "do something". Yet I have been reminded this week that one of the most exciting things I can do is to bring my burdens to the Creator of the world. One of the greatest priviliges I have is to meet with other believers at the foot of the cross to pray for our friends, families, schools, offices, states, nations. As you drive past these flagpoles tomorrow, grab a group of fellow believers and take a minute to stop and pray that the Lord would be brought much glory this week!