Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Right or Wrong?

On the street where my husband and I live, we could hold a world religions conference. All within one block reside a Morman family, Muslim family, Catholic family, Atheist family (strongly declared), Christian family and two families who “believe in god, just not organized religion”. With my job as mission coordinator, I consistently take students on mission trips around the globe to share the Gospel message. Even though I know the need for Christ is great on my very own street, so many times I often find myself too busy to be home…or too tired once I get there! I can easily fall into the trap of believing that I “deserve” to have some “me time”. Now, I do think that Scripture speaks to the importance of maintaining personal spiritual health, and this includes simply resting! However, in a recent article written by Dr. Tim Beougher (Professor at Southern Baptist Theological Seminary and, most importantly, my dad! J), he speaks to the heart of the matter:

Paul gives us a key insight in [I Corinthians 9] verse 12: “we put up with anything rather than hinder the gospel of Christ”. He makes clear he is not going to do or say anything that will hinder the gospel. What is the challenge for us today in a self-centered, self-focused culture? Paul speaks about surrendering our “rights” for the sake of the gospel. I’m afraid too often we surrender sharing the gospel for the sake of our perceived “rights.” For example, our “right” to only associate with people who are like us. Or our “right” to use “our” time as we want to use it.


Today as you interact with the people around you, choose the “RIGHT” of taking time to share Jesus! What a privilege we have in our country that we can do this freely and unashamedly. May this be the right that we choose to embrace as our foundation for life!