Sunday, February 21, 2010

God and Spilled Coffee

"But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved— and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus" (Ephesians 2:4-7, English Standard Version).

It took me a few days, but God took a seemingly insignificant thing - spilled coffee - and turned it into a defining moment for me. I had just finished my quiet time. One swoosh and my coffee dumped all over the kitchen table. The spilled coffee somehow managed to hit every single thing I had out - two copies of the Bible (my big Bible and my smaller compact one), my large calendar with my whole life in it, and my journal with every thought that goes on in my crazy head. I managed to grab a towel and soak up what was left while standing everything up to dry it all out. I got a good laugh out of it but didn't see any meaning in it until yesterday. Then it hit me.
  • We have plans, but God has greater plans.
  • We read His Word but He still has the final word.
  • We know our thoughts but His thoughts are the only ones that count.
  • We fill our cups with coffee but God fills us with His immeasurable riches that spill over when we are least expecting it.
I have been greatly blessed by God. I always feel blessed but especially this week. God has taken something that might have been difficult and turned it into a blessing greater than any one I could have imagined. Something in my life that seemed to be disappointing was hardly realized because God has been re-affirming things over and over again all week. I wish I could sit and tell you all the details; however, suffice it to say... but God has come through and used spilled coffee to remind me that He is in control and He has given us immeasurable riches for us to spill over into the lives of others.

It is time for a new Bible. It is time for a new journal. I am still gifted2go...and you are too!

(Don't let life's spilled coffee get you down.)

You know you are loved!

http://www.esv.org/