Saturday, February 13, 2010

Preach Christ to Your Kids

I don't how many young moms are reading out there, but as a young mom myself I think quite often about sharing the Gospel with Micah...to be sure, I'm practicing on him now as I read the Bible, pray, and sing praises with him each day...But I especially want to be prepared when he can mentally understand who I'm talking about, ya know?! It's one of the most gloriously wonderful weighty responsibilities I have in all of life...and many of you have the joy of sharing that weight with me. Even if your kids are older, still some have yet to bow their knee to Jesus...so you're right with me too, still in battle for their souls that they may love the Gospel! I know it's agonizing if they are older...keep pressing on though...God can still do miracles. I've seen the hardest of hearts changed. Believe me.

We all need some tools in our tool belt (my husband does woodworking as a past time so the analogy is quite fitting for me to use. he'd be proud). There is no substitute for the actual written living Word of God, but I am thankful for creative writers who can make the Gospel speak in the language of a little one. The Jesus Storybook Bible by Sally-Lloyd Jones is a tool I use to introduce Micah to the world of illustrations to be sure but more importantly to Bible stories (I couple this with regular reading of Bible passages with him). The author is careful to convey the Gospel in each story. I appreciate that because the Bible is all about Jesus after all. As we share Christ from the womb until the day that precious one heralds Christ as Lord, maybe this tool can help the young mom and maybe the seasoned mom too (note the careful choice words ;)). Sometimes even older kids need to hear the simplicity of the Gospel again and again...not suggesting here that you should sit them on your knee and read them this storybook though ;) Just saying, with gentleness at the right times, the Gospel shared has a power of its own.

If you're reading this blog you are a leader of women most likely, but before all of that you are first a wife and a mom. I hope that this serves as reminder to pray, encourage, and see to it that your kids have every opportunity to be conformed to Christ as far as it depends on you (which it does not wholly depend on you). I also hope that you will pass on this helpful resource to the young moms in your ministry. I believe it would serve them well to have it on hand. My husband often says reading this storybook will minister even to adults who will sit down and take the time. We can never remind ourselves or our children of the Gospel too much, and I imagine that you fully agree!

p.s. If you'd like to check out this resource, you can do so here:
http://www.lifeway.com/e9/shop/?id=001294506