Thursday, February 25, 2010

keeping in step


“Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the spirit” (Galatians 5:25, NIV).


For the past few weeks, I have been able to watch the end of the dance class that one of the girls that I nanny is in. Her and the other girls are preparing for a recital in a couple of months. Her name is Charlotte, and she is great at keeping up with the steps and the rhythm of the music.


Are we following the Holy Spirit's leading in our own lives?


In Galatians, Paul lists what the Holy Spirit within us will produce in our lives. They include love - joy - peace - patience - kindness - gentleness - self-control (more are listed in Galatians 5:22-23). In 1 Timothy 3:1-13, he lists characteristics of a godly overseer. Some of them are self-control, respectability, and trustworthiness.


In both of these lists in Galatians 5 and 1 Timothy 3, I see evidence of strong character in leaders and followers of Christ. As followers of God, our hearts are led by the Holy Spirit to do these things. If we listen and follow the Holy Spirit's guidance, His glory will radiate.


I pray that God reveals to us what we need to work on in character development. This week, I have personally seen my need to listen with more gentleness and patience. As Christians, I pray that we keep in step with where the Holy Spirit is leading us.