Monday, February 8, 2010

What does the Lord require?

"He has told you men what is good and what it is the LORD requires of you: Only to act justly, to love faithfulness, and to walk humbly with your God" (Micah 6:8, HCSB).

It's Monday again...all day long. I would love to tell you that I woke up excited to pursue the day but I didn't. I pulled the covers over my head and asked God why. Why did I have to get up? Why do I over-commit to so many things? Why do I have to leave again in two days? Why do I not have enough hours to complete things like remodeling, my dissertation, housework, grading, etc? Why do I let people talk me into preparing so many new messages in one month? Anyway...you know the drill.

When I opened my Bible (after my favorite cereal and Starbucks decaf Samatra), this verse in Micah was where it fell open. Oh how He spoke to me today. God only requires that I act justly, love faithfulness, and walk humbly. I must be fair, be faithful, and be humble. That's it. Burden gone (well almost). God never meant for me to do it alone. I'm fairly sure that He didn't want me to take all these things on. I know that He will continue to work with me and through me.

As leaders, many people look to us to fulfill their needs. Many think we are there to be the answer to every problem. While we pray about every one, today be reminded that God is just calling us to be fair, faithful, and humble. May He walk with you today in all you do.