Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Last Trailride

“11 Then I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse! The one sitting on it is called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he judges and makes war. 12 His eyes are like a flame of fire, and on his head are many diadems, and he has a name written that no one knows but himself. 13 He is clothed in a robe dipped in blood, and the name by which he is called is The Word of God. 14 And the armies of heaven, arrayed in fine linen, white and pure, were following him on white horses. 15 From his mouth comes a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations, and he will rule them with a rod of iron. He will tread the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God the Almighty. 16 On his robe and on his thigh he has a name written, King of kings and Lord of lords” (Revelation 19:11-16, ESV).

As I drove back from the airport on Thursday, I ran into some traffic on the tollway access road. Turns out it was some of the trail riders coming in. Yeehaw, it's Houston Rodeo time! These riders come from near and far, riding their horses and pulling their wagons. It was a sight to see! I wondered if my friends Lisa and Joe were among them.

Sunday morning I ran into them and we sat together in class. We were so busy catching up that I never got to the question about the rodeo. During the lesson, our fearless teacher referred to this passage in Revelation 19 about the second coming. He read verse 14 about the armies of heaven following Christ on white horses. Lisa nudged me and said that would be her last trail ride! I'd never thought about that before! Not only will the angels of heaven be with Christ, but we as the saints will be in the army of riders as well...clothed in white, pure, and riding white horses! Oh what a glorious day it will be! One day we will ride and fight with Him; until then, I am grateful that God fights our battles for us (Ex 14:13-14), that He equips us with His armor (Eph 6:10 et al) and that we don't have to ride the white horses until we get our new bodies! GLO-reh!

(My hat's off to my friends who told me that they did ride and that it was their 19th trail ride! Yeehaw!)