Friday, February 26, 2010

Spilled Coke...a Light????

"Let your light shine before others so that that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father in heaven ." (Mathew 5:16)
As I was reading Jaye's blog from last Monday on spilled coffee, that reminded me of an incident a couple days ago. This week I am in Houston while my Dad is in the hospital. My mom and I have spent many hours in the waiting room. The waiting room was very crowded and we were sitting in close proximity to several other women. I was drinking a coke and realized I knocked it over.

Before I could even get up to go get paper towels, one of the other women in the area jumped up to go get paper towels to blot it up. Then her friend with her, an 86 year old woman, got up to get more paper towels. Both of them showed such a servant attitude and joyful countenance that I thought to myself, "They must be Christians." As we started a conversation, it was evident that they were indeed Christians.

Their simple act of service in a crowded waiting room to a person (me) who they did not know at all really stood out in a world where most people are only concerned about themselves. This was a good reminder that even little acts of service to others can be an avenue to "let their little light shine."

May we all look for opportunities for little acts of service that could make a difference in someone else's life.